Picture
To go along with my "Aliens" environment i decided to start modeling the xenomorph queen. Ive started modeling a low polygon version of the head. (The image was rendered using nurms)  The shape of the head is actually very complicated. Even IF i use the texture pages to simulate some of the creases and stretched skin, the model is complicated.  Also, the model just doesn't look correct at the moment because i havent gotten to model the teeth yet.  The Teeth seem to be very integral.  After I finish off the head and maybe part of the neck i want to take what i have through the rest of the pipeline to make sure my texturing methods will give me the results i want.  I'm going to try to keep it low poly and utilize Xnormals, Zbrush, and hand painting to make the diffuse map

 
 
Given more time I would like to continue this project but i as it is it still has lots of visual apeal. There are still some issues with the detailed texturing. Also the resolution im working in isnt really allowing me to put detailed alpha trees on the distant peaks.  They are so distant that they dont really change the feel of the environment.  Even if I make them slightly emissive they have negligable effect on the overall scene. I need to work more on the pagotas as well, they don't stand out against the rest of the environment.
When i continue working on this i will have to find a way to overcome the lighting and increase the saturation of just the architecture in the scene.
 
 
The bigdog model is finished and so it his CAT rig and animation.  There were not many references that didnt have shells besides the main detail outline i had, so the back side of him isnt nearly as detailed.  But this robot doesnt really have a symmetric body/cage to begin with

i have made him his own detailed page on the Tech object page  
CLICK HERE  the animation is also there
 
 
Bigdog robot model has been completed and i have begun animating it with Max's Cat rig.  My first render seems to have lost its lighting however.  The model itself walks a little strangly because the legs get to close to each other in compariston to actual video of the robot moving.  If i have the time i might broaden the stride before i render out findal animations.
 
 
Started modeling a BigDog quadruped robot for 3D environment class, so far I've gotten half of the front leg modeled

Lots of the pieces should be reusable in the legs but there are variations between the front and back legs up near the robot's torso.
Reference image
Current Leg Build
 
 
Last week we spend most of the day getting up to date with our programmers, telling them of the changes we wanted and some of the glitches that still need to be fixed.

I also modeled out better roots that will allow us to make the glowing mushrooms look more like they cohesively fit into the scene by entwining it with the surrounding rocks

using the same style i also made branching roots that we can use for the "doors"
They will descend down from the roof to block the player's progress.  The ones we had before looked out of place but with the new roots that will crawl out from the mushrooms should tie the mechanic together.

we are still having discrepancies with the lighting colors, so we are going to continue to make more color sheets.
I also made a new model for our frog enemy

The frog is going to block the player from accurately firing their snot. The new model is ready for rigging and animation but only a temporary texture has been made

We are still discussing whether to use animated textures or polygons to make the frog blink.  Appending new polys will probably end up being the final solution

The final Frog texture will probably glow as well and emit just like the mushrooms (not sure how good emissive white eyes are going to look, but we will see)

 
 
First day back, the team discussed changes to the lighting and gameplay
  • levels need to be redesigned - in multiple segment or "worlds"  with art matching each
  • lighting from the mushrooms need to modify the color of the scene around it
  • lighting needs to have a cap instead of blow out the scene
This week i have modified the smoothing groups on all our rocks and started playing with a more painterly texture for them. 
Picture
Experiments we did in class looked quite attractive and in style for the game, but we will have to tweek textures more to get the same effect as our tests actually in game on our assets.  We need to make sure the saturation of color is maintained for each emissive asset so that we can keep the color play as seen in the picture to theleft